Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Word tagged and tongue-tied

There are words that I like to roll my tongue over, like serendipity and mordant and pusillanimous in English or telakucho and ajgubi and buri dihing and srotoshwini and aschorjyo in Bangla. Their meanings are submerged within their sounds and the physical act of speaking them.
There are words that hold a great deal of meaning to me because they refer to or remind me of places, people or things that mean a lot to me. College Street, Pujor Chhuti, Boi Mela, Class kata, Apu, Didibhai, Ma.
And words that I like just because. Lush fragrance, Orchid, remembrance, Impressionism, sensual, macabre, eerie, and awry. What about ab-o-dana, wafaa, dhuan? Even erschatz, colloquial and nonpareil. Mayhap, fustian and ochre? Pari nah, nyaka, shala and chal phot?
Finally I suppose, The End and Om Shanti.

P.S. Gati and Arnab are the ones that I tag - refer to the original Kaashyapeya post for more of an idea.

5 Comments:

Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

O baba! Telakucho aar buri dihing abaar ki? Haven't heard of them. Urmi, ersatz to shunechhi, erschatz ta ki?

June 29, 2005 5:29 PM  
Blogger Urmea said...

Er schmaltz and ersatz had a lovechild and called it erschatz?? LOL, sorry for that stupid mistake!
Telakucho is a vegetable - potol-like if I am not mistaken. I know I have eaten them sliced and fried but have no sensual memory of it other than the name!
Buri Dihing is a river in the north-east. My cousin was born while they lived in Shillong and has Dihing as a nickname.

June 29, 2005 6:08 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

No, no don't be sorry, perhaps you can be the lovechild's godmother. Oh to be listed in an OED etymology entry!

Aachha, telakucho is not what my Mom used to call kankrol right, which used to look like the lovechild of uchhey and potol. Infinitely more yummy than both.

June 30, 2005 12:51 PM  
Blogger Urmea said...

Hmm kankrol bhaja to kheyechhi - kind of like jhinge, right? Like a not-bitter korola? You know what, I shall ask my mom and get back to you on this. (As in academia, when in doubt in a seminar, plead ignorance and ask someone others will trust, like an advisor.)

June 30, 2005 5:32 PM  
Blogger nothing said...

bodhoy kankrol noy. tobe kankrole-er,,errr. nikot attiyo.
Pusillanimous reminded me of "Look Back in Anger." It has a very similar sounding antonym- puissant.
A bit of stream of consciousness:- mordant brought to mind marauder, which in turn brought to mind depredation.

July 02, 2005 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home