Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I give up: More weekend updates...

I am now convinced that Superbowl Sunday is the best day to go anywhere. Traffic's easy and the crowds are busy glued to the idiot box. Ma and I went to Point Reyes last Sunday and it was a gorgeous sunny day with no crowds. Absolutely amazing! We saw the Elephant Seals and walked part of the way to the lighthouse. Very nice beaches and next time one will pack food and make it a picnic!! We'd stopped first at the tiny Pine Cone Diner in Point Reyes Station for lunch and Ma satisfied her craving for soup with a very nice Wild Mushroom and Potato Soup.

If Friday was girls' night out with a chick flick (quite quite watchable) and crab wontons at PF Chang's, Saturday was more about running errands (eye-doctors ugh), meeting old friend for lunch and I have totally forgotten what was for dinner (maybe Dosas?).

My weekend spilled over to Monday evening when I went to hear a lecture by Douglas Hofstadter at Stanford. I loved the talk. It was also very comforting to return to an academic environment for that time. Self-deprecating humor, dry comments about the rival school nearby (which is always good for some laughter and applause from the students in the crowd) but alas no free food like in a biz school. The talk was good, but did not cover anything over and above the article, 'Analogy as the Core of Cognition' on which it was based.

My friend A (of the grilled pomfret fame) and I followed up the lecture with an amazingly tasty dinner at Spice Islands Cafe in Mountain View. It has (though only for the time being) satisfied my cravings for Roti Canai and Beef Rendang. Yum. I HAVE to go back for more of the same and also to try everything else on the menu. We also had the Lamb Murtabak as well as the Okra Belacan with Prawns which was just truly, amazingly good - spicy, strong and clean - like Indian food crossed with Thai food on steroids! We were so obviously happy with the food that they even gave us some complimentary dessert! Interestingly (maybe obviously given the location) most of the other customers in the restaurant were also Indians.

8 Comments:

Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

You're damn right about the Super Bowl thing. We went to Santa Monica on Sunday and the 10 freeway was near empty. Oh, the joy! But LA being LA, the promenade was packed nonetheless.

I've come to the firm conclusion that Zara is my clothing heaven. Everything else is either too trashy quality-wise or just ridiculously expensive (a la Anthropologie).

I love both Malaysian and Indonesian food. Were all these folks desis from India, or perhaps there were some Indian-Malaysians as well? Next time, try the Assam Laksa, which is tamarind-fish broth with noodles. So yummy! In case you're wondering Assam actually means sour in Malay.

February 08, 2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger Urmea said...

Swati, you know how much I love Zara. The only problem is I may have to go to the city if I need a store around here. That has had a great dampening effect on my clothes buying lately. Which is not a bad thing by any means!!

Nah these were all desi-desis, prosperous IT-geek types :) Ooh the Assam laksa was on our shortlist of possible things to order. Next time!

As for Indonesian food - well one of the two times I've eaten it was with you, if you remember? After the Nusrat documentary at Skirball?

February 08, 2006 6:19 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Oh I would highly recommend a visit sometime soon. They have their Spring-Summer collection in, and some of the dresses are fab! Too bad, they're priced out of my poor student budget.

Yeah, that Indonesian restaurant is a bit of a let down. There are two other places I like better, one of them being a grocery store with a food counter.

Also, next time do consider ordering char kuey teow in a Malaysian restaurant, which is a noodle dish. Very yummy.

February 09, 2006 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is bulididi.
i am keeping an eye on your doings (big sister watching you?!?)
seems like an idyllic existance. i seem to spend my days worrying about mussoor vs moong, pabda vs tangra, jilipi vs gaja.
where should i write to you?-- email or here as comments on your activities?
a little puzzled

February 12, 2006 5:53 AM  
Blogger Urmea said...

Dear Bulidid!!! You have to do both - don't you know??? Where are your emails, hmmm?

February 12, 2006 8:08 AM  
Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Yo, Foodie!

I like. Or do I? There's a Rumbly in My Tumbly ...

J.A.P.

February 15, 2006 4:52 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

You've been tagged :)!

February 15, 2006 11:50 AM  
Blogger Urmea said...

Hi Roy thanks for stopping by my blog. Please do visit again!

Yo JAP! Whassup dawg!
Rumbly? Tumbly? Hmm try Joaner arak (aka Aqua Ptychotis).

Swati! Thats one dangerous tag. Let me think about it - do not want to be told someday - but you said "blah blah blah"!!

February 15, 2006 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home