Friday, February 11, 2005

Catching up

A Very Long Engagement turned out to be very similar to Amelie in mood with the addition of a World War I track. The war sequences were absolutely unromanticised and almost cartoonish in their details. The contrasting vision was that of the beautiful French seaside village where the chief characters come from. Visual wittiness and quirky characters make the movie very entertaining. On the other hand there is not much else to the movie that I want to spend the time writing about! Oh, except an unexpected cameo from Jodie Foster looking older but so appropriate. They said she was Polish in the movie - maybe to cover up an accented French? Unfortunately that is not something I can proffer an opinion about.
My thai dinner at Sanamluang was not very good and it was all my own fault. I saw a restaurant full of happy diners eating noodle dishes and what looked like an appetizer plate of croquettes, and I ordered barbequed pork on rice. Well duh. Better to eat the Pad Sie Ewe the next time.
Wednesday evening was Shrimp Enchiladas at the West L.A. outpost of La Serenata De Garibaldi. Excellent food, I thought. And was told by people who know, that a. it tries too hard, b. its too expensive and c. its just not that cool. As the place was tastier, cheaper and cooler than any Mexican place I had been to before (weep, Chicago!) I felt suitably chastened and promised myself that I would seek out the cheaper, better and cooler places. Eventually.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gamesmaster G9 said...

Die die die

February 11, 2005 5:44 PM  
Blogger Urmea said...

But why Ani - ami na tor faithful reader? Also you can always tell me all about the lovely food Goti is feeding you...

February 11, 2005 7:31 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

La Serenata is fine, don't let the in-the-know types steer you away. Next time, order something with fish, that's what they are famous for.

But there are tons of really good Mexican places in the city, most far less expensive than La Serenata. There's El Cholo, and Guelaguetza, and the slightly upscale Cuidad. Then there is Cielito Lindo that comes with high praise from my Mexican friend.

February 12, 2005 2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home