Wednesday, September 13, 2006

"I'd rather be a pig than a Fascist"

Only a bunch of chowfiends could order eight dishes for six people at a place with big portions, eat it all and then step out to do a gelato taste test immediately afterwards. So it was that I spent yesterday evening at Great China, Gelato Milano and Gelateria Naia. Favorites of the night - the Ants Climbing a Tree (yes, really), the lemon at Milano and the 99% chocolate at Naia. Yum.

Today was a more impromptu Indonesian dinner. We had a great Gado Gado - the peanut sauce seemed housemade thankfully, Achar, Beef Rendang (a much superior version to the one we had in the misnamed Nyonya Bistro in Milpitas last Sunday), Ayam Kalasan (which was a moist grilled chicken served with a fabulous chilli sauce), Mee Goreng as well as a crispy tempeh in spicy sauce and an eggplant in chilli paste. Oh and a soup called Lontong Cap Go Meh? And an excellent coconut rice! Enough food for six? We did have itty bitty bits left over.

Hmm and tomorrow is dinner at a friend's place - she said very homestyle desi food. Then on Friday I am having dinner with a friend at the new Vietnamese place on Solano which serves - I quote the website - Vietnamese Tapas with a French twist. This intrepid reporter will be back with more details afterwards of course. Until then burp, hic and cheers!

P.S. Yes I lurve Miyazaki!

7 Comments:

Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Jealous, jealous, totally jealous of your food adventures. And here I am, munching on Ramen noodles. Woe is me :(!

I'm so impressed with my own foodie credentials - I already knew about Ants Climbing a Tree.

Oh by the way, traditionally Ayam Kalasan is fried (I'm surprised it's described as grilled in the restaurant menu), but the reason it is moist is that it is marinated in daaber jol!

Eggplant in chilli sauce - Terung balado

Lontong Cap Go Meh - Lontong are the compressed rice cakes they served in the dish, and then they spoon several different curries over it. Yummy! And Cap Go Meh is the 15th day after the beginning of the Chinese New Year, and is a big celebration for the Straits Chinese.
Hence I think this is an Indonesian-Chinese dish.

Vietnamese Tapas? Please to file full report of dining adventure :).

September 14, 2006 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back on the food trail. But then S.E.A. food is usually not that heavy - so 8 dishes aint that much, is it?

Should introduce you to a friend - he and his wife went to Flavours - one of the nicer Italian joints in Delhi an ordered two dishes loaded with butter and cheese (Sonai and i usually manage to share one dish and crib how full we are). Well Nandu and Sanghamitra finished their meal, had lots of souffle and cheesecake and went home and had a four course dinner. The portion was too small, they reported.
Me, I wish I had a bottomless pit in my stomach!

September 14, 2006 12:48 PM  
Blogger Teleute said...

Bah! Aar amar je ekhon khide pacchhe tar ki hobe?

September 14, 2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger Priya said...

whaddya mean you'd rather be a pig, you ARE one! Ki khete paarish, mairi:P

September 25, 2006 12:17 AM  
Blogger Rahul said...

u said read me, read me, read me..so i did. My only comment...Indian food is still the best :-)

June 18, 2007 2:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, the rich tasting Lontong Cap Go Meh is traditionally eaten at Cap Go Meh (the 15th day of Lunar New Year). But it lacks your usual Chinese food's characteristics because it's not Chinese in origin, it's actually several Indonesian food combined in one. The variety may vary according to the place.

February 05, 2008 8:03 PM  
Blogger Ankur said...

Nice,
Thanks for your grateful informations, am working in, asian affairs magazine

so it will be a better information’s for me. Try to post best informations like this always

Indian media: Failings of a new forum

March 14, 2013 1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home