Friday, May 12, 2006

Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go...

In my mind, I am already on vacation. The effect this has had on my work is not something I'd like my managers to be aware of. And they are not. Yet.

My stupid bank apparently cancelled my debit/ATM card, along with lotsa others', as a safety precaution and promised to send me a replacement card "soon". On calling and cribbing they (that particular person will be getting her very own voodoo effigy soon and I mean soon - not "soon") promised to send it overnight so I can get it in hand before my trip. Rest assured, it has not arrived and will not arrive before I leave. Several fruitless conversations with customer service agents (who in their defence, were easy to get through to and smarter and nicer than expected and maybe even non-robotic) later, I still have no hope of getting the card in hand before I leave. Sigh. It took writing a nasty email to customer service and a gobi paratha to cool me down. Though I am still gnashing my teeth in not so frequent intervals...

On the other hand - my friend G will be in Thailand and not away on a trip the week I will be there and she has already planned a fabulous trip to a jazz festival in a little non-touristy beach town with great food and thats such good news that I am almost wary of blogging about it so as not to jinx it someway. Phew.

Oh and I just finished watching a very interesting interview - Salman Rushdie hosting in place of Charlie Rose and talking to Deepa Mehta - mostly about Water. One interesting point Mehta made was about how angry (think capital letters, bolded) she was after the sets for the movie got vandalized in Varanasi. One of the reasons she said it took her five years to get back to making Water is that she felt that she had to stop being angry or risk affecting the movie with that anger. Interesting. So true on whichever frame of reference one thinks of. Not that I think she has fully lost that anger even now - there was a lot of what sounded like abhimaan - a kind of resentment towards a country that she feels is her own but has treated her like a foreigner.

That interview was followed by another equally interesting one. Brian Grazer interviewing Malcolm Gladwell. Sorry I was too distracted by their hair to notice what they were talking about.

Decisions, decisions - do I get new highlights or not? Yay or nay? You too can vote by SMS. [grin]

9 Comments:

Blogger Priya said...

I see you are very excited. But DON'T u forget, that I won't be there, so practise refrain, willya?
Oh and yeah sure, get those highlights babe. They look so cool:) I'm not wihasing you anything else..(sticks tongue out)

May 13, 2006 12:22 AM  
Blogger Priya said...

uff that was WISHING*

May 13, 2006 12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaan-e-man! :D Get them done all bright blue! That way I can be cool by association :D. (Not that I am not right now! Right now also totally cool by association!!)

May 13, 2006 3:11 AM  
Blogger Lalita said...

Get the highlights. Have a wonderful trip. If you are in South Cal, perhaps we could meet for coffee. :D

May 13, 2006 3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, yes, YES
we want highlights
we want the whole hog (bristles and all)
will you, won't you,
will you, won't you,
dye your hair PINK and GREEN
and create history/herstory in
New Alipore?

if you are not bold enough i expect to see reddish/brownish most pati streaks

May 13, 2006 11:18 AM  
Blogger jhantu said...

Yes to highlights anytime, even from randon blog visitors

May 13, 2006 3:10 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Yay for highlights! But whatever you do, do not fall for the semi-permanent hair colour scam. I agreed to a semi-permanent colour on my last cut, and my clothes got ruined by all the red colour off my hair!!

And you get to go to Thailand, that's fantastic (no actually that's horrible, let's not jinx this).

May 14, 2006 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have also got highlights

they are WHITE, courtsey the great creator

i think i am pretty bold.

May 14, 2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger Urmea said...

To all above commentors - thank you and I did get the highlights. I will have to hide from mirrors for a while now...

May 14, 2006 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home