Sunday, March 27, 2005

Instead of a letter...

The best part about making friends who are not from the same school, college, social circle or workplace is that they in turn lead you to experiences that would otherwise have been entirely unknown. I recently met a fellow blogger, who is Bengali like me but is from Delhi and has followed a very different career path than I have. She goes to Grad School here and her boyfriend is Greek.
Last Friday was the Greek Independence Day and I ended up going to a bash at the Greek consul-general's house with them. This was a lovely house high up in Beverly Hills with a view of mountains and far-off city lights. The crowd was quite eclectic and I met a whole range of people, ranging from a gentleman who is in the Chinese consulate here to an Olympic gold medal winning gymnast. I had gone straight from work and felt rather slovenly in my Friday casual jeans and sneakers (in anticipation of next day's hike) next to the suits and pearls. However my friends were absolute sweethearts and made me feel totally at home - thank you!
After the party I had to run off to Claremont to stay over with another friend and her boyfriend. This was so that we could drive out to Joshua Tree national park the next morning where the desert flowers are blooming. The landscape was barely green, that too after an extraordinarily rainy winter. Fluffy Cholla cactuses and gnarly branched Joshua trees that the Park is named for, made for a landscape that looked unearthly and alien. There was a lovely viewpoint high up looking over valleys and far-off peaks as well as interesting rock formations that my friend described as giant piles of elephant dung. Yes, not very poetic I am afraid!! There was also a lovely little oasis with hummingbirds flitting and purple flowers growing in the cool shade of huge fan palm trees. Oh and we also saw a coyote.
Of course we also managed to stop by at an outlet mall on the way back for about an hour and a half - from the sublime to the material...
I am spending Sunday recovering from all this junketing around. I have taken a three hour siesta in the afternoon after watching Garden State. I have also started reading The Shadow of the Wind and I like it a lot so far. That's about it for today - I shall wind down watching some episodes of Seinfeld and fall asleep on the couch I guess. Good night!

5 Comments:

Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

How can I forget Mission Impossible, but thankfully I didn't have to hear too much about it since S was suitably distracted by the Persian party.

Your description of Joshua Tree is great, makes me want to visit! How was the lard na?

March 28, 2005 12:26 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Oh forgot to add, the word in question was "zeera" or cumin.

March 28, 2005 7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watching episodes of seinfeld and sleeping on the couch...you sound like my kind of girl!

March 29, 2005 11:43 AM  
Blogger DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

First off, thanks for stopping by my blog. 2nd i totally agree with this post and is the same reason I started my blog among others but needless to say ride-on, and enjoy every second of this beautiful life, later...
blu~

March 31, 2005 2:02 AM  
Blogger Urmea said...

~blu~
Thanks for dropping by!

March 31, 2005 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home