Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Of shoes and ships...

I have been spreading my wings lately, as far as driving goes. I drove to Monterey Park for Dim Sum again and then to Pasadena, a couple of trips to Hollywood and so on. I think this might be a good time, to write about the first time I drove in Beverly Hills.
Well there I was, just my second day driving (the second car from my first post about driving) in LA. I was trying to get to Century City, where my office is, to sign some papers. As inevitably as Southern California's days are sunny, I lost my way.
I was travelling, what seemed to me to be, a North-South route. I was stopped at a red light in the lane next to the right turn one, and decided to go West instead. I turned my steering wheel a pretty sharp right to change lanes, as I had stopped rather close to the car in front. Of course I could not straighten the car out in time. There was a fairly loud noise as the car jiggled ominously and went over what felt like a very high bump on the street and settled down with the front right wheel on the pavement.
There was an L.A.Weekly stand on the ground, haplessly slain by one who didn't mean to (belatedly, I apologize). Undaunted I reversed and straightened the car, but the tire was quite flat by now.
So the police arrived and so did the AAA guy (courtesy the exorbitant full insurance I had purchased). With the tire changed, the car was drivable albeit dinged badly. Most humiliatingly, everyone seemed to think it was awfully funny. The policeman did not bother to even file a case - just told me that they would send me back to Illinois, were I to be found doing stupid driving in BH again, and giggled to his colleagues over the radio.
Oh, and when I took the car back to the rental agency, they refused to rent any more cars to me.
So there you have it, another humiliating driving story. Hopefully I will not have any more to tell you!

3 Comments:

Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

The Dimsum sounded like loads of fun! Since there have been waves of Chinese migrations to LA from different parts of China, there's so much variety in the Chinese food on offer here. There's even Islamic Chinese!

As for the car, I highly recommend a compass. Costs less than $10, you can stick it to your windshield and is incredibly useful in city with a NSEW grid.

March 10, 2005 12:50 AM  
Blogger Confusedoldbong said...

Hey Urmea.. that's hillarious.. maybe after effects of too much pizza and Westerns

March 16, 2005 4:07 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Urmi kothai tumi? Blog koro!

March 22, 2005 12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home